Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Nov 5, 2019 10:53:32 AM

Where is the breakdown of Form 4562 Line 17 (MACRS deductions for assets placed in service in tax years beginning before 2018)? Need Turbotax's depr calc per asset.

0 5 1291
5 Replies
Level 15
Nov 5, 2019 10:54:31 AM

The system is now in transition from 2018 to 2019, so you cannot get to all of those worksheets right now.  You can only print out the forms and schedules needed to file by mail, until the transition is complete sometime in December 2019.

Returning Member
Feb 5, 2020 9:54:32 AM

How can I download this now? I've tried in December and assumed I needed to wait even longer since it was not available.

Expert Alumni
Feb 6, 2020 1:06:02 PM

When an asset is placed in service, it is listed with date purchased, price, asset class and life. The following year, it is lumped together with all the other items in the same class life.  Our desktop program states "The program displays the amortization period in years only". Therefore, the only way to really know is to go back through old taxes, to when assets were first entered on your return.

Luckily, you are required to keep those tax returns (during the life of whatever business, rental house, etc + 3 years) for just such an occasion.

Returning Member
Feb 6, 2020 4:15:57 PM

So are you saying that Turbotax doesn't provide this listing anymore? It has in years past.

Level 14
Feb 6, 2020 5:32:17 PM

Print the "all worksheets" and look for the "Depreciation and Amortization Report".  It looks like a sideways spreadsheet.