Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 11:03:35 PM

Where do I put my origination fees,recording fees from when I refinanced my home

0 1 2422
1 Best answer
Level 7
May 31, 2019 11:03:35 PM

Closing costs, including the below are not tax deductible but may increase the cost basis of your home which may benefit you in the event of sale.

• Attorney fees in connection with obtaining property

• Commissions

• State stamp taxes and transfer taxes

• Tax service fees

• Title policy fees or title insurance

• Miscellaneous abstracts of title, surveys, recording of deed

• Appraisal Fee

For a new loan or refinance, mortgage interest paid (including origination fee or "points"), real estate taxes, and private mortgage insurance (subject to limits) are deductible.

On a refinance, you may need to amortize an origination fee (if paid) over the life of the loan. TurboTax will walk you through this process.

To enter the above:

1.    Mortgage interest paid: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home, select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing

2.    Points: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home, select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (be sure to select an option that applies to you on the Tell Us More about Your Loan screen)

3.    Real Estate Taxes: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home>Property Taxes

4.    Mortgage Insurance: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home> Mortgage Insurance

1 Replies
Level 7
May 31, 2019 11:03:35 PM

Closing costs, including the below are not tax deductible but may increase the cost basis of your home which may benefit you in the event of sale.

• Attorney fees in connection with obtaining property

• Commissions

• State stamp taxes and transfer taxes

• Tax service fees

• Title policy fees or title insurance

• Miscellaneous abstracts of title, surveys, recording of deed

• Appraisal Fee

For a new loan or refinance, mortgage interest paid (including origination fee or "points"), real estate taxes, and private mortgage insurance (subject to limits) are deductible.

On a refinance, you may need to amortize an origination fee (if paid) over the life of the loan. TurboTax will walk you through this process.

To enter the above:

1.    Mortgage interest paid: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home, select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing

2.    Points: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home, select Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (be sure to select an option that applies to you on the Tell Us More about Your Loan screen)

3.    Real Estate Taxes: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home>Property Taxes

4.    Mortgage Insurance: Federal Taxes>Deductions &Credits> Your Home> Mortgage Insurance