Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 12:21:51 PM

Where do I enter office equipment expenses and other expenses associated with being self employeed. Under Income and Expenses or Deductions and credits?

0 2 311
2 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 12:21:52 PM

Neither. Anything and everything, including home office stuff is entered on the SCH C. In TurboTax, all self-employed business stuff is dealt with in the Business Income section. Where that section is, depends on what version of the program you are using.

In TurboTax Self-Employed (online) and Home & Business (desktop) all business stuff is dealt with under the Business tab in the section titled Business Income & Expenses (SCH C)

For all other versions it's dealt with under the Personal Income (or Wages & Income) in the Business Income & Expenses (SCH C) section under the Business Items heading.

If you are using the online version, then you *must* use TurboTax Self-Employed since you are claiming business expenses.

If you are using the desktop version then you *must* use Premier or higher since you are claiming business expenses.

Level 15
Jun 4, 2019 12:21:54 PM

Carl,  I think you can use any Desktop version.  I never heard it has to be at least Premier.