• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 10:59:47 PM

Where do i enter my Motor Vehicle Property tax on my federal tax form

0 3 1721
1 Best answer
May 31, 2019 10:59:50 PM

From the TurboTax FAQ:  You can deduct taxes you paid on the value of personal property, including a boat, motorcycle, RV, or airplane, but not your home or any real estate you own.

• On the Tax Timeline, select "Federal Taxes", then click "Deductions and Credits". 
  • Click the "Check for more tax breaks" button, then select "Skip to see all tax breaks".

• Scroll down to the "Cars and Other Things You Own" section and click "Show More" to expand the list.
  • click "Start" next to "Personal Property Taxes" section to enter this information.

3 Replies
May 31, 2019 10:59:50 PM

From the TurboTax FAQ:  You can deduct taxes you paid on the value of personal property, including a boat, motorcycle, RV, or airplane, but not your home or any real estate you own.

• On the Tax Timeline, select "Federal Taxes", then click "Deductions and Credits". 
  • Click the "Check for more tax breaks" button, then select "Skip to see all tax breaks".

• Scroll down to the "Cars and Other Things You Own" section and click "Show More" to expand the list.
  • click "Start" next to "Personal Property Taxes" section to enter this information.

Apr 7, 2024 6:08:33 AM

What about vehicle personal property taxes, like in West Virginia?

Expert Alumni
Apr 7, 2024 7:33:49 AM

See the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my personal property tax? for entry guidance.

Although auto registration fees aren’t deductible for West Virginia, you're allowed to claim the personal property tax you pay annually, based on the value of your car.

@jesse57