Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 4:58:34 PM

Where do I deduct the self employment health insurance premiums on the 2018 forms?

My husband and I are self employed in an S corp.  I used to deduct health insurance premiums as an adjustment to income on page 1.  On the 2018 form that section no longer exists.  How do I take this deduction for 2018?

1 2 1704
1 Best answer
Level 9
Jun 7, 2019 4:58:36 PM

That is now on Schedule 1 (Line 29).

When you enter your K-1 form the corporation, it will ask you about health insurance, and you need to check that box and answer the followup questions, including re-entering Box 5 of your W-2 from the corporation.

Of course, this assumes that the corporation paid for the insurance, and that payment was added to Box 1 of your W-2.

As a side note, even though you may qualify for the "Self Employed Health Insurance deduction", you are not self employed.  You are employees of the corporation.

2 Replies
Level 9
Jun 7, 2019 4:58:36 PM

That is now on Schedule 1 (Line 29).

When you enter your K-1 form the corporation, it will ask you about health insurance, and you need to check that box and answer the followup questions, including re-entering Box 5 of your W-2 from the corporation.

Of course, this assumes that the corporation paid for the insurance, and that payment was added to Box 1 of your W-2.

As a side note, even though you may qualify for the "Self Employed Health Insurance deduction", you are not self employed.  You are employees of the corporation.

Level 1
Aug 23, 2019 12:53:13 PM

Just a heads up the check box is in the other situations slide as you navigate through the K-1 entry.