Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:17:19 PM

TurboTax is asking me if the seller paid for my points or loan origination fee on the original purchase of the home I just sold....

while it is trying to figure out my Adjusted Cost Basis.  On my settlement statement there is nothing listed under Loan Origination fee on either side but there is a Broker Origination Fee that the seller paid.  Would this be the same thing?  

0 4 1286
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 12:17:21 PM

Yes, the loan origination fee and broker origination fee are the same. That is the cost being charged to get the loan set up.

4 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 12:17:21 PM

Yes, the loan origination fee and broker origination fee are the same. That is the cost being charged to get the loan set up.

Jun 6, 2019 12:17:22 PM

Do you know if that would include the other fees listed just under that....broker processing fee, lender fee, tax service fee, and flood check fee?  Would those all be included or just the one listed as broker origination fee?

Jun 6, 2019 12:17:24 PM

This would just be for the origination of the loan. If that is all that is indicated on the closing statement, then the seller did not pay for any other fees.

Jun 6, 2019 12:17:25 PM

Yes, there are amounts listed in each of those fields that the seller paid for.  I just didn't know if Turbo Tax wants me to include all of those fees paid by the seller as "points" or "loan origination fees" paid by seller or just the only one listed as "Loan/Broker Origination Fee" only.