Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2020 8:34:12 AM

Second home purchase

We purchased a second home in 2019 and paid cash. How and where do I enter this into Turbotax?

Thanks!!

0 4 661
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 4, 2020 10:10:52 AM

After entering each item (mortgage interest & RE tax) for your  primary home, the TurboTax (TT) interview will ask if you have any other to entry.  Mortgage interest is limited to two homes.  There is no limit to the number of properties you may claim RE tax on, but there is a $ limit  ($10K on all state & local tax, not just RE).

Enter it all, TT will apply the limits, of any.

4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 4, 2020 8:49:42 AM

The purchase of primary or second personal residence, not used as a rental or in a business, is not reported on a tax return.

Level 15
Jun 4, 2020 8:51:38 AM

If you itemize deductions, the mortgage interest and real estate taxes are deductible, on a 2nd home. 

Jun 4, 2020 9:08:30 AM

yes, I understand that, I just don't know where to put it as I am entering information.  JFYB

Level 15
Jun 4, 2020 10:10:52 AM

After entering each item (mortgage interest & RE tax) for your  primary home, the TurboTax (TT) interview will ask if you have any other to entry.  Mortgage interest is limited to two homes.  There is no limit to the number of properties you may claim RE tax on, but there is a $ limit  ($10K on all state & local tax, not just RE).

Enter it all, TT will apply the limits, of any.