Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Dec 27, 2019 4:26:09 PM

Recapture depreciation, Donated real property

I donated a rental property to charity. How and where do I report the recaptured depreciation?

0 2 1033
2 Replies
Level 5
Dec 27, 2019 8:11:19 PM

From Zacks -- One of the biggest benefits of donating rental property is that the deduction is figured on the property's fair market value. For example, if you bought a rental home for $50,000 and claimed $20,000 in depreciation on it but it had a $100,000 fair market value, you'd be able to write off the $100,000 value. While the IRS sometimes limits your ability to donate depreciated properties, this limitation doesn't apply to depreciated real estate. When you donate property, you will need to have a professional appraiser prepare an appraisal report to establish its fair market value.

Returning Member
Dec 28, 2019 8:00:56 AM

Thanks,

So, Do not concern myself with prior depreciation, just put FMV (appraised value at time of donation) on schedule A and attach Form 8283 section B. No need to use Form 4797 to figure recapture and report as ordinary income on schedule C.  Even though the property was depreciated over a period of years. The FMV is far more than the Adjusted basis.

Since there is Up to 40% penalty if reported wrong, please be specific as to forms and procedure.