Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 11, 2020 10:33:41 AM

Qualified Disaster

I have a home that was subject to a Qualified Disaster twice in 2019...I took an IRA distribution to help pay for repairs...can I get credit and how for the distribution without paying taxes on the entire amount?  How do process it within TurboTax?

0 5 1216
2 Best answers
Level 15
May 16, 2020 10:14:53 AM

@kb52 wrote:

Thanks for the information...I've done that....when I run the Federal Tax review TurboTax says it can't complete the return waiting for additional instructions from the IRS....thoughts?

If a 2019 disaster then that will require the new 8915-C or 8915-D forms that the IRS as not provided yet.    They do not exist, even as a draft form yet.  Probably because of the Corona virus shutdown.     Usually, once the IRS has a draft form it usually takes 2-3 months before the electronic form specifications are made available.

Level 15
May 16, 2020 12:21:42 PM

While taxable, a qualified disaster allows you to spread the tax over 3 years and/or be able to repay the money back to the account without penalty or any tax.

5 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Apr 11, 2020 11:40:29 AM

Yes, once you enter your 1099R be sure to go all the way through the section after you enter the 1099R and answer all the questions.  

Once you see the 1099R summary keep going through the questions.  There will be questions about Qualified Disaster payments related to the 1099R.

Level 1
May 16, 2020 9:15:57 AM

Thanks for the information...I've done that....when I run the Federal Tax review TurboTax says it can't complete the return waiting for additional instructions from the IRS....thoughts?

Level 15
May 16, 2020 10:14:53 AM

@kb52 wrote:

If a 2019 disaster then that will require the new 8915-C or 8915-D forms that the IRS as not provided yet.    They do not exist, even as a draft form yet.  Probably because of the Corona virus shutdown.     Usually, once the IRS has a draft form it usually takes 2-3 months before the electronic form specifications are made available.

Level 15
May 16, 2020 11:55:52 AM

can I get credit and how for the distribution without paying taxes on the entire amount?

The "correct" root answer to your question is no. A withdrawal from a traditional IRA or 401(k) is taxable income with no exceptions. Period. However, situations that allow for an early withdrawal will exempt you from paying the 10% early withdrawal penalty if otherwise applicable. But the withdrawal itself is always taxable income and it does add to your AGI in the tax year of the withdrawal.

So the penalty can be waived. But the taxability of the money is never waived.... at least it never has been yet.

Finally, whatever you spend the money on "may" qualify for a tax deduction or exemption of some type. But the withdrawal itself is taxable income as reflected on the 1099-R you received for that withdrawal.

Level 15
May 16, 2020 12:21:42 PM

While taxable, a qualified disaster allows you to spread the tax over 3 years and/or be able to repay the money back to the account without penalty or any tax.