Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 8:00:21 PM

Job-related vehicle deduction

For total miles driven for job, am I entering the total miles I actually drove for commute + job-related drives OR do I just enter the job-related activities in this section? In other words, do I combine total miles for commute + job-related drives (e.g. 8200) in this section OR just the total miles driven for job-related drives (e.g. 1000)?

0 1 388
1 Best answer
Jun 4, 2019 8:00:23 PM

Yes. Under the job-related unreimbursed business miles, when it asks about total miles driven for all purposes, you enter the total of all miles driven (both job related and non-job related (including commuting)). But when it asks for you to enter miles driven for (job), just enter the total business miles (do not include commuting miles here).

1 Replies
Jun 4, 2019 8:00:23 PM

Yes. Under the job-related unreimbursed business miles, when it asks about total miles driven for all purposes, you enter the total of all miles driven (both job related and non-job related (including commuting)). But when it asks for you to enter miles driven for (job), just enter the total business miles (do not include commuting miles here).