Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Oct 31, 2019 3:28:15 PM

Is the cost of rental car deductible as a home care nurse who travels from one patient's home to another?

I will be working as a home care RN who travels from one patient's home to another patient's home. During the five months period I will be working as such profession, I need to rent a car for all the travelling between home to home.  Is the rental cost tax deductible? Thank you.

0 4 601
1 Best answer
Level 15
Oct 31, 2019 4:35:07 PM

Will you be employed as a W-2 employee or will you be an independent contractor who will receive cash or a 1099Misc to report your income?

If you are a W-2 employee then your car expenses are not deductible, since job-related expenses are not deductible on a federal return for W-2 employees.  

If you are an independent contractor then certain expenses are reported on your Schedule C, since you would be considered to be self-employed.  P

Please clarify which it will be.

4 Replies
Level 15
Oct 31, 2019 4:35:07 PM

Will you be employed as a W-2 employee or will you be an independent contractor who will receive cash or a 1099Misc to report your income?

If you are a W-2 employee then your car expenses are not deductible, since job-related expenses are not deductible on a federal return for W-2 employees.  

If you are an independent contractor then certain expenses are reported on your Schedule C, since you would be considered to be self-employed.  P

Please clarify which it will be.

Level 1
Nov 1, 2019 10:33:26 AM

Hi xmasbaby0,

Sorry I didn't include that part in my question. I will be employed as a W-2 employee.

Level 15
Nov 1, 2019 10:36:52 AM

Then, so sorry but your car expenses are not deductible on your federal return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-reform

Level 1
Nov 1, 2019 10:50:22 AM

Thank you for the clarified answer.