Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 4:57:37 AM

Internet and Cable is Bundled and cannot split out the cost -- How can I expense my internet for my home office expenses?

We have a bundled package of internet and cable from comcast but it doesn't split out the cost between the two. How should I go about deducting the expense for the internet piece of it?

0 3 4281
1 Best answer
Jun 6, 2019 4:57:39 AM

I have the same situation with the same provider. 

I made a good faith effort to allocate the cost to each service. 

I called the provider and asked how much each service would be if purchased separately. I added those two costs and figured out what percentage (of the "total") was cable and what percentage (of the "total") was internet. I then applied those percentages to the actual total bill I was paying for the bundle.

3 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 4:57:39 AM

I have the same situation with the same provider. 

I made a good faith effort to allocate the cost to each service. 

I called the provider and asked how much each service would be if purchased separately. I added those two costs and figured out what percentage (of the "total") was cable and what percentage (of the "total") was internet. I then applied those percentages to the actual total bill I was paying for the bundle.

Level 1
Jan 9, 2020 8:54:18 AM

can you share what percentages you came up with? I know each persons situation will be different but just to get an idea? 

Level 10
Jan 9, 2020 2:15:22 PM

I like the splitting based on the un-bundled price, but how are you going to figure out, support, and document the work portion of the Internet vs. the personal use portion (web surfing, shopping, streaming)?