Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 9:52:41 AM

If I am full time employee for a company and uber drive on the side. Am I eligible to tax deduct expenses such as car, insurance, gas etc and file a standard deduction?

0 3 312
1 Best answer
Level 3
Jun 1, 2019 9:52:43 AM

You would be eligible to deduct the expenses or mileage related to Uber.  You would not be able to deduct any expenses related to your regular employment or personal use of your vehicle.

Also, if you are taking the standard mileage deduction, you would not be able to claim insurance or gas expenses.  You would claim one or the other.

Do not confuse the standard deduction with the standard mileage deduction.  The standard deduction is $12,000, $18,000 or $24,000 depending on your filing status on your 1040 and is not related to your vehicle expenses.  The standard mileage deduction is based on the miles driven for business and is reported on your Schedule C.

3 Replies
Level 3
Jun 1, 2019 9:52:43 AM

You would be eligible to deduct the expenses or mileage related to Uber.  You would not be able to deduct any expenses related to your regular employment or personal use of your vehicle.

Also, if you are taking the standard mileage deduction, you would not be able to claim insurance or gas expenses.  You would claim one or the other.

Do not confuse the standard deduction with the standard mileage deduction.  The standard deduction is $12,000, $18,000 or $24,000 depending on your filing status on your 1040 and is not related to your vehicle expenses.  The standard mileage deduction is based on the miles driven for business and is reported on your Schedule C.

Jun 1, 2019 9:52:44 AM

I thought you were only allowed to choose between standard deduction or itemizing your deductions? If my deductions from uber-ing is lower than the standard, wouldn't I just get the standard?

Level 3
Jun 1, 2019 9:52:45 AM

They are two different things.  Standard Deduction and Itemized Deductions are referring to your personal return...just the 1040 part.  Uber income and expenses are reported on Schedule C and then flow to your 1040.  If you upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed you will be able to enter your income and expenses for Uber.