Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jul 2, 2020 11:32:55 AM

If I am filing taxes for a decedent and I am the administratrix, how do I sign the disclosure consent, since I am not the decedent that is named?

0 3 467
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jul 2, 2020 3:49:21 PM

If the decedent is not due a refund, then you can e-file (or mail) the return without including or attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

If the decedent is due a refund, then you can e-file the return and mail Form 1310 separately without including a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative. You can also print and mail the final return together with Form 1310 without attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

Finally, if the decedent is due a refund, you can print and mail the final return together with a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative but without having to mail Form 1310.

3 Replies
Level 15
Jul 2, 2020 12:10:51 PM

Sign the return with your name as "personal representative."

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2019_publink1000201744

Level 15
Jul 2, 2020 2:54:03 PM

Be sure to include with  your mailing, a copy of the paperwork that gives you the legal right to sign as their representative too.

Level 15
Jul 2, 2020 3:49:21 PM

If the decedent is not due a refund, then you can e-file (or mail) the return without including or attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

If the decedent is due a refund, then you can e-file the return and mail Form 1310 separately without including a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative. You can also print and mail the final return together with Form 1310 without attaching a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative.

Finally, if the decedent is due a refund, you can print and mail the final return together with a copy of the court certificate (or court order) appointing you as personal representative but without having to mail Form 1310.