Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 10:23:36 PM

I play guitar in church are any of my instrument costs (instrument and accessories) deductible ? I'm not on staff at church, I'm a servant volunteer .

I bought a guitar for the purpose of playing it Church, I also bought some effect pedals, and accessories all the purchases were made to use the guitar and accessories strictly for Church.  Are any or all of these deductible ?

0 1 1258
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 10:23:37 PM

No, there is no deduction for your instruments and accessories.  If you were being paid they might be deductible depending upon whether you were considered a employee or an independent contractor.  Since your not being paid, there is no income to deduct them against.  If you gifted the instruments to the church and received a receipt you could deduct them as a charitable contribution; however, they are your personal property so there is no deduction.  In this case you'll have to settle for the satisfaction of serving.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 10:23:37 PM

No, there is no deduction for your instruments and accessories.  If you were being paid they might be deductible depending upon whether you were considered a employee or an independent contractor.  Since your not being paid, there is no income to deduct them against.  If you gifted the instruments to the church and received a receipt you could deduct them as a charitable contribution; however, they are your personal property so there is no deduction.  In this case you'll have to settle for the satisfaction of serving.