Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Sep 17, 2022 3:47:58 PM

I am self-employed with a home office in the same home for 11 years. This year Turbotax calculated my home office deduction at a fraction or prior years. Why?

Expenses were entered the same as prior years and were higher than 2020. Prior year deductions were around $2,000. 2021 deduction is $331. What would cause this when actual expenses were more?

0 4 285
1 Best answer
Sep 17, 2022 4:22:07 PM

Problem resolved somehow. After entering all my other business expenses and income, it recalculated the correct amount. Thanks for the responses.

4 Replies
Level 15
Sep 17, 2022 3:54:01 PM

OIH expenses are limited based on the net profit of the business ... review the Sch C and the form 8829.  Any unallowed expenses are carried forward. 

Level 15
Sep 17, 2022 4:08:54 PM

Some expenses, such as home office or section 179 depreciation can only be used to reduce your schedule C taxable income to zero, and not to create a loss. Excess deductions for these carry over to the next year.  And you have to answer yes to both questions about exclusive and regular use, not just one.  The area of your home office must be used regularly and exclusively for business to deduct it.

Or you checked the box on 32b saying Some Investment is Not at Risk.

Sep 17, 2022 4:22:07 PM

Problem resolved somehow. After entering all my other business expenses and income, it recalculated the correct amount. Thanks for the responses.

Level 15
Sep 17, 2022 4:25:35 PM

You know I just noticed that the online Self Employed version has income listed at the bottom after expenses.  Seems weird.