Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jun 6, 2019 9:44:56 AM

How to game Filing Status to see impact on amount of tax due by toggling between Itemizing and Standard Deduction without losing any data entered into the program?

My Filing Status is Married Filing Separately.  I am trying to game/research with TT program to see the impact on tax due if 1) we both Itemize or 2) both use Standard Deduction.  I wanted to toggle between the two options in the TT program before choosing the most beneficial Filing Status.   Is this toggling/gaming possible without losing data already entered into the program?  Thanks!

0 1 199
1 Best answer
Level 3
Jun 6, 2019 9:44:58 AM

Yes, it is.

It is much easier to do this comparison using the desktop version of TT installed from a CD or downloaded to your own computer.  You pay once for the software and you can prepare multiple returns easily, and it has a “what if” feature that allows comparisons.

1 Replies
Level 3
Jun 6, 2019 9:44:58 AM

Yes, it is.

It is much easier to do this comparison using the desktop version of TT installed from a CD or downloaded to your own computer.  You pay once for the software and you can prepare multiple returns easily, and it has a “what if” feature that allows comparisons.