Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:53:48 AM

How do I enter CO Form DR 1079 real estate withholding?

I paid this at closing and want to get credit for it.  I included it lumped in with "sales expenses" total (under Federal) as this is how it was mentioned on my settlement statement.  However, I don't see it transferring to my CO State return.  I'd like to see it entered in a designated area.  I need the credit in State.  Thx!

0 2 2225
1 Best answer
Intuit Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:53:50 AM

Enter the Colo. tax on Form DR 1079 in the federal return so that the withholding can be included in your federal itemized deductions. TT/Colo will pick it up from there. Be sure to remove that amount from your "sales expenses"

Federal Taxes tab (or whatever your "Premier" has - this is the "Deluxe" path)
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Select Other Income Taxes
Under Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018 is
Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099
Enter the $$ withheld in the State box (round to nearest dollar - don't enter pennies) and select Colorado from the dropdown.

Now, if your Colo. main form has a separate line for that withholding then TT/Colo will ask about it - watch for it and follow along. In any case, review your Colo return and make sure you're getting credit for that amount.

2 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:53:50 AM

Enter the Colo. tax on Form DR 1079 in the federal return so that the withholding can be included in your federal itemized deductions. TT/Colo will pick it up from there. Be sure to remove that amount from your "sales expenses"

Federal Taxes tab (or whatever your "Premier" has - this is the "Deluxe" path)
Deductions and Credits
I'll choose what I work on
Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Select Other Income Taxes
Under Other Income Taxes Paid in 2018 is
Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099
Enter the $$ withheld in the State box (round to nearest dollar - don't enter pennies) and select Colorado from the dropdown.

Now, if your Colo. main form has a separate line for that withholding then TT/Colo will ask about it - watch for it and follow along. In any case, review your Colo return and make sure you're getting credit for that amount.

Level 2
Jun 6, 2019 12:53:51 AM

You're the man, Terry.  Thank you.