Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 4:49:12 PM

How do i claim my recreational rv travel trailer as a second home

0 45 48116
1 Best answer
May 31, 2019 4:49:14 PM

Hello!

Thanks for your question.

A second home must have sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.  If your travel trailer meets these conditions, it can be a second home.  You can deduct interest paid on a loan used to purchase your second home. 

You can only deduct interest for two homes—your main home and a second home.  Real estate taxes or personal property taxes can be deducted on any number of homes.

You can enter both of these deductions under Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Your Home.

I hope you find this answer helpful.  If you have additional questions or comments regarding this issue, please feel free to reply to this post for further clarification.

Thanks for trusting TurboTax with your tax preparation!

24 Replies
May 31, 2019 4:49:14 PM

Hello!

Thanks for your question.

A second home must have sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities.  If your travel trailer meets these conditions, it can be a second home.  You can deduct interest paid on a loan used to purchase your second home. 

You can only deduct interest for two homes—your main home and a second home.  Real estate taxes or personal property taxes can be deducted on any number of homes.

You can enter both of these deductions under Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits > Your Home.

I hope you find this answer helpful.  If you have additional questions or comments regarding this issue, please feel free to reply to this post for further clarification.

Thanks for trusting TurboTax with your tax preparation!

May 31, 2019 4:49:18 PM

If we have a rental property, would we still be able to deduct the interest on our RV loan, as a second home?

May 31, 2019 4:49:19 PM

The above should read 'You can only deduct interest for two PERSONAL RESIDENCES—your main home and a second home'. A rental is considered business property rather than personal property, meaning that in your case all interest is likely deductible. Interest and deductions for a rental would be reported separately on Schedule E.

Level 2
May 31, 2019 4:49:20 PM

However, I would think a mortgage loan is different from a RV loan in that the mortgagee sends the mortgagor a Form 1098 listing the interest paid the prior year. I don't think a RV dealer financing a RV is obligated in the same way. So, how does one go about writing off the interest of an RV loan? Is the 'interest paid' calculated solely by the loanee?

May 31, 2019 4:49:22 PM

Do I ad a mother lender

May 31, 2019 4:49:22 PM

Do I add another lender

May 31, 2019 4:49:24 PM

Exctly, where and how do I enter in this information?  There is no separate line for another lender.

May 31, 2019 4:49:26 PM

Exactly, where and how do I enter in this information?  I can't enter in another lender.

Oct 12, 2019 11:24:27 AM

Our RV is constantly kept at a members resort with dues storage cost.  Can I also write off storage costs, and membership due which is a requirement to also store our RV.?   thanks

Level 1
Nov 4, 2019 3:38:31 PM

I am not responding with an answer but an addendum:   We also have our NEW RV at a resort that we pay storage and need a higher level membership to even be considered for storage.  Additionally, we pay to have it moved per visit.   Not to mention registration fees, insurance etc.  

Are these other item also allowed for deductions?

Level 15
Nov 4, 2019 3:53:10 PM

@SonomaRik Just like a first home, the only Federal deduction for a home or RV (if the RV meets the requirements to be a home) is the interest deduction on a mortgage that finances the RV and property tax (if any).   Those are Schedule A itemized deductions.  Both mortgage interest and property tax have caps.

For 2018 and 2019 many taxpayers that itemized in the past will find that they can no longer itemize because the standard deduction has doubled so all of their itemized deduction s no longer exceed the standard deduction.

Only if all itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction will it be of benefit.

Not all itemized deductions count the full amount. Medical expenses are reduced by 7.5% of AGI so if your AGI is $30,000, for example, then only medical expenses more than $2,250 would be an itemized deduction.

The 2018 tax law also caps the total of Sales tax OR State and local income tax, Property (real estate and personal property) taxes at $10,000.

Mortgage insurance premiums. The itemized deduction for mortgage insurance premiums expired on December 31, 2017.

Mortgage interest on loans after Dec 16, 2017 may be limited.

The Mortgage must be secured by the property to qualify.

Interest on home equity loans and lines of credit are deductible only if the borrowed funds are used to buy, build, or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions). Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction. (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

2018 standard deductions

$12,000 Single
$18,000 Head of Household
$24,000 Married Jointly

Add an additional $1,300 for over age 65 or blind
This amount increases to $1,600 if the taxpayer is also unmarried.

2019 standard deductions

$12,200 Single
$18,350 Head of Household
$24,400 Married Jointly

Add an additional $1,300 for over age 65 or blind
This amount increases to $1,650 if the taxpayer is also unmarried.

Jan 4, 2020 9:00:31 AM

We have our homestead, rental home and travel trailer. It states we can only deduct two homes, is the rental taxes tax deductible and is it considered the second home?

Level 15
Jan 4, 2020 9:08:23 AM

@chale1934 wrote:

We have our homestead, rental home and travel trailer. It states we can only deduct two homes, is the rental taxes tax deductible and is it considered the second home?

The rental property is not a second home if you do not use the property as a personal residence during the year.

The trailer can be a second home if it can be classified as a dwelling unit.  A dwelling unit has basic living accommodations, such as sleeping space, a toilet, and cooking facilities

You can deduct any interest paid on a loan for the trailer as an itemized deduction on Schedule A.  You can deduct on Schedule A any personal property taxes paid on the trailer if the taxes are based on the value of the trailer.

You cannot deduct any insurance you have on the trailer just as you cannot deduct homeowner's insurance on a personal residence, not used as a rental or in a business.

Level 1
Jan 5, 2020 8:18:48 AM

Thanks for the response.  Will have to do the exercise to understand if it is a viable deduction for us:  great response. 

Jan 31, 2020 7:29:48 PM

Thank you so much for this info. I had heard that the interest paid was not deductible this year. I will notify my friend of the good news.

Feb 25, 2020 7:56:18 AM

Hello, I am thinking of buying a place at an RV park in the woods. I need to be able to get a home loan and write it off on my taxes if that’s possible? Is there a certain amount of feet that a camper needs to be before I can do that? I live in Washington state, currently have a home, but want to sign it over to my son, and buy a place at Lake Merwin Campers Hideaway in Yacolt  Washington. I heard that a camper had to be at least a certain size before you can use it as a home write off for taxes, is that true? Also, any pros or cons of doing this? I listed the name of the place in case someone wants to check it out and help me with my questions. I would be there the max days allowed each year, and still have my bedroom at my current home with my son, but wouldn’t have it in my name at all because I can only have one HUD, Section 184 Native American home loan. I also have to check to see if I could even use that loan for something like this (camper), but it would for sure have to be considered a home to even use it for that loan anyways. The place I’m looking at is approx $55,000, private sales from a friends parents. Any help would be appreciated since I don’t know anything or what I’m doing at all. 😂🤷‍♀️ Thank you so very much! 

Feb 25, 2020 8:04:49 AM

I have a similar situation. I want to buy a lot at an RV park, and a camper that sits on it. It is sort of like a wooded resort. There are yearly dues, at the lake for upkeep, and amenities etc, but the lot and the camper would be mine so I need to get a loan. It’s such a cool place, you can build on your camper, the only requirement is that there is a camper on the lot, then people build onto it and some look even like a home and you can’t tell there’s a camper anywhere. Then there are others that just have the camper etc. There are 1500 places there. The issue is that I need to know if there’s a certain length of a camper that it has to be at least to be considered a home and able to write it off on my taxes. Also, and negatives for doing this, pros and cons. I have a home right now that I will sign over to my son because I can only have one loan in my name and I bought my current home to give to him since he’s my only child. He now has a better job than I do and can have the house. It is the HUD, section 184 Native American home loan, and I would have to check to see if I could even use that to do this at all. Hopefully so, but if not, does anyone have any info or recommendations as to which loan would be best to buy something like this? I can retire on May 1, 2022, and I need to go as cheap as possible because my income will be cut in half. Thank you for any info 😊❤️

Expert Alumni
Feb 25, 2020 9:44:26 AM

If your travel trailer has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities  it can be a second home.  You can deduct interest paid on a loan used to purchase your RV.  The loan for the RV does not have to be a "mortgage" it can be any type of loan. 

Level 1
Mar 2, 2020 11:04:07 AM

Which additional forms do I need to fill out to add my RV as a second home and get the interest deduction?

Expert Alumni
Mar 2, 2020 11:09:08 AM

Your can only deduct mortgage interest on a residence. An RV can be considered a residence if it has sleeping, cooking and toilet facilities.

If your vehicle qualifies, your enter it in the same area you enter interest entered on form 1098. 

Level 1
Mar 2, 2020 11:16:43 AM

So, do I just include a 2nd Schedule A with no other forms to be filled out?

Expert Alumni
Mar 2, 2020 11:26:13 AM

No, you include the interest with any other mortgage interest you have. Your enter it in the same area you enter interest entered on form 1098. 

Mar 26, 2020 2:10:33 PM

We purchased a trailer trailer last year but weren't allow to claim as a second. 

Can you tell me why?

Expert Alumni
Mar 26, 2020 2:36:28 PM

I don't know why you could not claim if you meet the qualifications. Please see line 8 instructions on page A-8 of Instructions for Schedule A (Form 1040)

@eetison