Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Mar 11, 2021 10:47:03 PM

Capital loss not increasing refund

I have net capital loss in my brokerage account this year, of greater than $3,000. However, whenever I import my 1099-B from my broker, my refund does not change. Shouldn't this 3k negate 3k of my taxable income and increase my refund?

0 3 325
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 12, 2021 5:12:23 PM

The losses will reduce your gains. However, net capital gains are not taxable if you are in a lower income tax bracket (single filers below $40,125, joint filers below $81,050.) So, it may be that your capital gains are not being taxed before you enter the losses, so they have no affect on your net tax.

Returning Member
Mar 13, 2021 8:37:25 PM

Thanks for the info. I don't think it applies to my situation however. This was my only brokerage account so I did not have any capital gains. My understanding is that it should go against my taxable income that case. Also, I am not in a low tax bracket. Any other reasons you can think of why the capital loss wouldn't increase my refund?

Level 15
Mar 13, 2021 8:43:35 PM

Maybe you are already getting back all you can and more deductions won't increase it.  Or you still owe for something else.  Also after you reduce your income to zero there is no more refund to get back but you still may owe for other things like self employment tax or the 10% early withdrawal penalty from 401k or IRA accounts.