Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 2:05:41 AM

Can I report foreign wage passing over 2555 and 2555-EZ forms?

My family and I moved to the US on May 2018. We are filing joint return to be treated as full year residents. Before moving to the US I was employed abroad and was paid wage. It is clear to me that I have to report that earned income in my 2018 tax return. However,  I am wondering if I can report it as FEC on Line 1 of the Form 1040, ignoring forms 2555 and 2555-EZ, and as such surrendering foreign earned income tax exclusion?

0 3 677
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 2:05:42 AM

Yes, you can. The foreign earned income exclusion is voluntary.

If you did not receive a W-2 then you can enter your foreign earned income by following the instructions below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Take Me To My Return"
  3. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  4. Scroll down to “Less Common Income” and click "Show more" 
  5. Scroll down to “Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion” and click “Start
  6. Choose “A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)” and click “Continue”.
  7. TurboTax will walk you through the questions.

If you do not want to use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion then answer "Neither of us" to the question "Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude?".

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 2:05:42 AM

Yes, you can. The foreign earned income exclusion is voluntary.

If you did not receive a W-2 then you can enter your foreign earned income by following the instructions below:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Take Me To My Return"
  3. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  4. Scroll down to “Less Common Income” and click "Show more" 
  5. Scroll down to “Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion” and click “Start
  6. Choose “A statement from my foreign employer (could be cash)” and click “Continue”.
  7. TurboTax will walk you through the questions.

If you do not want to use the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion then answer "Neither of us" to the question "Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude?".

Jun 6, 2019 2:05:44 AM

Thanks for the answer DanaB!
Would that make me file 2555 and 2555-EZ?

Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 2:05:45 AM

If you answer the "Neither of us" to the question "Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude?" then it will not create Form 2555 or 2555-EZ.