Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 4, 2019 7:48:46 PM

Can I compare the results of an itemized deduction to a standard deduction return?

0 3 374
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 7:48:48 PM

Yes, you can choose one deduction then the other deduction to see how it might affect your taxes. Don't forget to change to the most advantageous one after your test.

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type 'itemized deductions, choosing, ' in the box, then select GO

Mark the small square box to change your deduction choice. Then select the radio button of your choice.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 4, 2019 7:48:48 PM

Yes, you can choose one deduction then the other deduction to see how it might affect your taxes. Don't forget to change to the most advantageous one after your test.

• In your open return, select My Account
  • Tools
  • Topic Search
  • Type 'itemized deductions, choosing, ' in the box, then select GO

Mark the small square box to change your deduction choice. Then select the radio button of your choice.

Level 2
Feb 7, 2024 11:30:24 AM

I'm using Desktop Premier 2023   I know I'm real close on itemized deductions vs standard deduction. I want to toggle back and forth to see the difference, and the difference it makes on my state return, There does not appear to be anyway to do so??? I know it used to be there. 

Your instructions above doesn't appear to apply to the desk top version.  (is it just TT on-line that you are addressing? 

How to find the old help function,?

Expert Alumni
Feb 7, 2024 1:50:07 PM

Since you are using TurboTax Desktop, simply select FORMS in the top right corner, then select Schedule A from the list. 

Compare the total on Schedule A with the Standard Deduction for your filing status. 

STANDARD DEDUCTIONS for Tax Year 2023:

Single ……………………………………..………………...$13,850

Married Filing Jointly ……………………………..…..$27,700 

Qualifying Surviving Spouse ………………….……$27,700

Married Filing Separately ……………………….….$13,850 

Heads of Household ……………………….…………$20,800