Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Returning Member
posted Apr 5, 2020 4:23:46 PM

1099-MISC PFL NY and Schedule C

I was out on Paid Family Leave last year for 3 months - I received a 1099-Misc as taxable, non-wage income.  I live in NJ and work in NY. My 1099-misc has a NJ line etered on line 17. Is this taxable at the state level?

Also entering this form also automatically starts a schedule C. Is this correct?

How should I enter the 1099-MISC properly in my case?

0 4 936
4 Replies
Level 15
Apr 5, 2020 4:41:29 PM

What box of the 1099-misc form has the income in it ? 

Expert Alumni
Apr 5, 2020 4:46:06 PM

@deee

Click Federal

Click Wages & Income

Click “See All Income” if needed

Scroll down (PAST SELF-EMPLOYMENT) to “Other Common Income”

Click “Show more”

Scroll down to “Form 1099-MISC”

Click Start

Enter the 1099-MISC and Continue

On the “Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC” screen enter something like “Paid Family Leave” and Continue

Select “None of these apply” and Continue

Select “No, it didn’t involve work like main job” and continue through the interview selecting the appropriate answers.

The amount from the 1099-MISC will be reported as Other income on the 1040 line 7a, not as Self-employment

Apr 10, 2024 8:47:34 PM

How do we make it so the other income from that 1099- misc from the benefit payment is not included in the NJ filing ? Mine is showing as other coming as a separate line item in the NJ review- which seems like it being taxed on it and from what’s I’ve read I should be.

Expert Alumni
Apr 11, 2024 3:08:02 PM

To clarify, do you need to file a NYS and NJ return? If so, the income can be allocated to NYS. If not, it is taxable in the state of NJ.