Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Apr 17, 2023 9:52:16 AM

Turbotax only files my state tax return not my husband. Why?

I live and work in PA, while my husband lives and works abroad. He earns foreign income through his foreign employer. We do have some dividends and interests earned through our shared Fidelity accounts. 

We will file the federal tax using Married Filing Jointly. Since he does not live in PA, I chose Married Filing Separately for the state return. Once I made this selection, TurboTax only files my tax return, not my husband's.

My question is: does TurboTax leave out my husband's filing thinking he does not need to file PA return, or is it a software bug? 

0 3 264
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Apr 17, 2023 10:52:36 AM

The program only does one state return. You need a separate program with a false federal to create the other PA MFS form. Here is good advice for preparing the form with desktop. You can do it online with a different account.

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 17, 2023 10:52:36 AM

The program only does one state return. You need a separate program with a false federal to create the other PA MFS form. Here is good advice for preparing the form with desktop. You can do it online with a different account.

Level 3
Apr 17, 2023 2:51:05 PM

Thanks! I will give it a try. How to split the income and deductions for joint accounts such as investments and savings etc.? Split half half?

Expert Alumni
Apr 19, 2023 1:12:09 PM

For joint accounts, it would be appropriate to split the income between the two of you.