Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 14, 2020 6:09:46 AM

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Calfornia HSA Contributions

I contributed into a HSA for 2019 outside of payroll deduction.  I am getting my deduction Federally adjusted upon filing.  When I got to the California returns, it appears that TurboTax might have added what I contributed post tax into income on the California side. It appears that I may have added extra income when that was not the case.  Is this right? How can I take that contribution out on the California side?

0 5 378
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 14, 2020 6:31:09 AM

TurboTax is correct.  Because the state of California does not recognize HSAs, your HSA contributions are not tax deductible for California state income tax.

• Your HSA contribution will be deducted from your gross pay for calculating the federal tax withholdings.
  • It will not reduce your California state income tax withholding.

Returning Member
Mar 8, 2020 7:56:56 PM

I contributed to HSA outside of work.  After I entered the HSA contribution the amount of Fed tax owed decreased, which is great.  Why does the amount of California State tax owed increased by 70%? 

Expert Alumni
Mar 8, 2020 8:13:20 PM

Yes, unfortunately, California taxes HSA contributions and the Long Term Capital Gain is considered a contribution.

Returning Member
Mar 10, 2020 5:39:23 PM

Hi,

In reply to the CA state tax increased.  This is the first HSA contribution and there is no gain. 

Expert Alumni
Mar 10, 2020 5:45:42 PM

California does not allow a deduction for Health Savings Accounts so your contribution is added back to your state income.

@public1