Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Mar 28, 2024 4:33:55 PM

out of state taxes

Good afternoon, everyone. I need help figuring out what state taxes to file. My state of residence was Maryland during my time in college. I went to a college out of state (NJ). During my stay in college, I started working in another state (PA). I became a PA resident later last year. Does anyone know if I have to file the MD state tax even tho those taxes were not taken out of my paycheck? My job only took out PA taxes. And during the time I applied for this job, I put my college dorm as my current address. Could someone please help me out? I am a little confused about what to do.
Thanks.

0 2 645
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 28, 2024 5:45:00 PM

Technically, you were a Maryland resident until you moved to Pennsylvania. For that period of time you should file a Maryland part-year resident tax return and pay tax in Maryland. When you moved to Pennsylvania, from that time until the end of the year you should file a Pennsylvania part-year resident tax return. The problem is your W-2 form is going to show Pennsylvania income for the total time you worked there, so you need to look for a credit for taxes paid to another state when you do you PA tax return so you will get a deduction for taxes paid to Maryland.

It would be best to do your Maryland tax return first, so you will know what your Maryland tax is as you'll need to enter that to get credit for it on your Pennsylvania tax return.

Level 1
Mar 28, 2024 6:23:19 PM

Okay thank you so much!!!