Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:48:37 AM

My spouse and I moved from GA to MA at the different date in 2018.

My spouse and I moved from GA to MA at the different date in 2018. I have income in both GA and MA and my spouse has income only in GA earned while living in GA. Do we need to file MA state return separately or we can still file it jointly?

0 3 224
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:48:38 AM

You must file Massachusetts using the status of Married Filing Separately.  This is a Massachusetts requirement for a part-year married couple when the spouses have different residency periods.  Since you did not move to MA on the same day, you must file as Married Filing Separately in Massachusetts.  

The following FAQ gives instructions on how you may do this (you may wish to obtain desktop software and transfer your online file to desktop to do this):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:48:38 AM

You must file Massachusetts using the status of Married Filing Separately.  This is a Massachusetts requirement for a part-year married couple when the spouses have different residency periods.  Since you did not move to MA on the same day, you must file as Married Filing Separately in Massachusetts.  

The following FAQ gives instructions on how you may do this (you may wish to obtain desktop software and transfer your online file to desktop to do this):  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

Jun 6, 2019 12:48:40 AM

Thanks for your answer. I understand that I should file MA state tax as Married Filing Separately. Is this the same for state tax in GA? Or we can file GA tax Married Filing Jointly? We moved from GA to MA at different date.

Expert Alumni
Jun 6, 2019 12:48:41 AM

I believe in Georgia you have the option to file joint or separate, even though you have the different date periods.  But MA requires separate returns.