Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:36:44 PM

I was a student in Illinois until I graduated and got a job in California. I did not earn any income while I was in Illinois, do I need to file/pay Illinois taxes?

I had a lease for an apartment in Illinois that expired in August but was staying and working in California as of June. Not sure if it matters. 

0 3 247
1 Best answer
Not applicable
Jun 5, 2019 11:36:48 PM

even if it was your tax home, since you have no Illinois income to report, no tax filing is required.    If you filed an Illinois return for the prior year, you may get an inquiry from Illinois to which you can respond you had no Illinois income.  Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it.   File california as a part year resident.

3 Replies
Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:36:46 PM

If Illinois was "NOT" your tax home, then you have nothing to report to that state.

Not applicable
Jun 5, 2019 11:36:48 PM

even if it was your tax home, since you have no Illinois income to report, no tax filing is required.    If you filed an Illinois return for the prior year, you may get an inquiry from Illinois to which you can respond you had no Illinois income.  Unfortunately, there's no way to prove it.   File california as a part year resident.

Jun 5, 2019 11:36:49 PM

Thank you!