Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 4, 2020 2:26:40 PM

I live internationally working as a teacher in Honduras and not making any money in the US or working any in the US. QUESTION do I need to file taxes?

0 5 430
5 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 4, 2020 2:44:19 PM

If you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident, you are required to file a U.S. tax return to report your worldwide income.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic on how to report to report your foreign income.

Feb 8, 2020 8:51:22 AM

Thank you for the great help!! If I could ask one question more. If I have not filed due to my not thinking I had to for about 3 years will I be penalized? Is the IRS going to come get me, hahaha! 

Intuit Alumni
Feb 9, 2020 11:15:41 AM

There may be penalties and/or interest if you owed a balance on those returns.  But, don't worry, they won't come and get you.

Here is a link to past years returns for Turbo Tax ( you can go back 3 years):  TurboTax Past Years Program

Feb 10, 2020 6:49:53 AM

Bwaahaa, thanks!! SO would you advise to start this tax season in filing or wait until I get back to the states in 2021? You have been a great help and thank you very much!

Expert Alumni
Feb 10, 2020 12:51:13 PM

You may be able to exclude $105,900 of income you earn per year while out of the country from taxation. If it turns out you do not owe any income tax because of the exclusion, you will not be penalized for not filing your tax return. 

But technically you are required to file a federal tax return to report your income and apply for the exclusion.