Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 11:22:24 AM

I live in Oklahoma. I work for a company that is out of Oklahoma, we work in Louisiana and I Pay state taxes for Louisiana, do I still have to pay Oklahoma State taxes?

0 3 1704
1 Best answer
Jun 3, 2019 11:22:25 AM

Since you live in Oklahoma but work in Louisiana, yes, you may owe some income taxes to Oklahoma. You will need to complete an income tax return for Louisiana first. When completing your Oklahoma income tax return, you will get a credit for paying income taxes to another state (Louisiana).The only way to know how much you may have to pay, is to complete both state income tax returns.

For the steps on how to file your Louisiana and Oklahoma state income tax returns, click on How do I file a nonresident state return?

Related Information:

3 Replies
Jun 3, 2019 11:22:25 AM

Since you live in Oklahoma but work in Louisiana, yes, you may owe some income taxes to Oklahoma. You will need to complete an income tax return for Louisiana first. When completing your Oklahoma income tax return, you will get a credit for paying income taxes to another state (Louisiana).The only way to know how much you may have to pay, is to complete both state income tax returns.

For the steps on how to file your Louisiana and Oklahoma state income tax returns, click on How do I file a nonresident state return?

Related Information:

Jun 4, 2020 9:54:32 AM

This is the second year we have run into problems with TurboTax filings of the Oklahoma State taxes with income and taxes paid to Louisiana.  Last year they Oklahoma back and said instead of refund we had to pay an additional $400 and this year they are stating we owe an additional $800.  I suggest you not use TurboTax to file and get a local tax professional to complete you Oklahoma return.

Level 15
Jun 4, 2020 10:10:16 AM

@olverab -- 

Nothing wrong with consulting a tax pro, but remember:

To get the proper credit on your home state return, you must complete the non-resident state return first, before you do your home state return.

And your home state will not credit you for more than 100% of what their own tax would have been on the same income.