Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 8:15:32 AM

I live in GA and drill with the ANG in PA. Are there exemptions for state taxes for drill pay? Also do i claim my travel expenses for both Federal and the State of PA?

Filling out Form 2106 for the first time thru Turbotax and not sure if i claim travel in both the Federal and State portion. 

0 1 384
1 Best answer
Expert Alumni
Jun 1, 2019 8:16:22 AM

You will want to fill out Form 2106, because Pennsylvania does allow you to claim these expenses on the PA return.  Unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible on the Federal Return because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which has suspended these deductions until 2025.  However, Pennsylvania still allows the deduction, so you will use this screen so that the deduction can transfer over to the PA return.

1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Jun 1, 2019 8:16:22 AM

You will want to fill out Form 2106, because Pennsylvania does allow you to claim these expenses on the PA return.  Unreimbursed employee expenses are no longer deductible on the Federal Return because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which has suspended these deductions until 2025.  However, Pennsylvania still allows the deduction, so you will use this screen so that the deduction can transfer over to the PA return.