Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 10, 2024 6:53:22 AM

I failed to stop my GA state tax deduction when I moved to IL. The GA deduction is shown on my 1099-R. Should I report it and how?

0 3 1670
3 Replies
Level 15
Apr 10, 2024 7:18:03 AM

Yes--you enter your 1099R just as it appears.  If you want to seek a refund of GA tax that was withheld from your retirmement income you will need to file a non -resident  (or part year) return for GA.   You do not mention when you moved from GA to IL so it is unclear whether you need to fill as non-resident or part year.  The good news is that IL does not tax retirement income so you will not need to withhold IL tax from future distributions.

Expert Alumni
Apr 10, 2024 7:22:59 AM

Do you mean GA state tax withholding? If so, yes contact your retirement administrator and change your state to your current one. You'll need to file a nonresident GA state tax return to receive a refund of those taxes withheld.

Level 15
Apr 10, 2024 7:54:01 AM

But also, the prior point about when you moved to IL is important...IF you moved to IL sometime during 2023, then you need to file Part-Year GA,and part-year IL, tax returns...and the portion of your retirement income you received before moving to IL is still potentially taxable income for GA.