Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 15, 2024 3:41:24 PM

I can't remove the moving deduction from my CA state tax filing on TurboTax. Anyone help?

I originally had included moving expenses in my federal return because I thought I qualified but later removed since I don't actually qualify. For some reason, TurboTax didn't remove it from my CA state taxes and it's showing up there without a supporting form. Does anyone know how I can remove that manually from the form? I've tried going through the federal and state tax options and I'm stuck. Checked that Federal says $0.

Maybe I can redo my state taxes? But can I reset and start a new state tax for free?

0 2 5433
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 17, 2024 8:39:11 AM

You can start the California return over by deleting it and reloading the information from the Federal return.  Take a look at the TurboTax help articles for details using TurboTax Online or a CD/downloaded version of TurboTax:

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

How do I clear my state return in the TurboTax for Windows software?

Level 15
Apr 17, 2024 11:39:27 AM

@Tax1997 --

(Maybe you're already aware) Except for active-duty military, the IRS no longer allows deduction of moving expenses.  But California DOES allow it.  See this for California's rules:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2023/2023-3913-instructions.html