Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 8:24:49 AM

Gambling winnings is not offsetting same amount of losses if I do not itimize deductions... Why???.. onTurbotax CD Home and business

CD Turbotax Home & Business...on W2.g... gambling winnings does not offset same amount of losses if you don't itemize deductions... WHY   ????

0 10 1249
10 Replies
Jun 6, 2019 8:24:52 AM

Do I need to wait for updates on this problem

Jun 6, 2019 8:24:53 AM

It is showing an offset amount but it still showing as an additional income in the summary of income

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 8:24:55 AM

To deduct losses you have to itemize.

Jun 6, 2019 8:24:56 AM

Taxpayers who do not itemize deductions are penalized for not getting an offset of gambling winnings against gambling losses.. by being reported as additional income which is not.

Jun 6, 2019 8:24:56 AM

Gambling losses are not considered as one of those items to be deducted in your itemized deductions except considered as an offset only to reported gambling winnings.  I don't  find any reason why  if you don't itemize you are not allowed to offset gambling losses to gambling winnings... .. Doesn't make sense at all.

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 8:24:57 AM

That is frequently the case in tax law.

Jun 6, 2019 8:24:59 AM

There is no tax law that will disallow you to offset your gambling winnings against your gambling losses   especially when it comes to either doing a standard or itemized deductions on your personal Income tax

Jun 6, 2019 8:25:00 AM

Please show or quote any personal income tax law that disallow gambling losses to offset gambling winnings when you are doing a short form or standard deduction on a personal income tax.

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 8:25:01 AM

It is the other way around.  Tax laws do not say what you *can't* do - they tell you what you *can* do.  

If you think the tax law allows gambling losses to offset winnings without itemizing then cite that law - you cannot because it does not exist.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf</a>  page 11

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 8:25:02 AM