Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 3
posted Mar 23, 2024 11:58:01 AM

Finding out if expense reimbursements were included in taxable W-2 wages

Hello,

I'm doing State Taxes now (New Jersey). I've gotten to the point where I'm supposed to list expense reimbursements: meal and lodging expenses, employee business expenses, moving expenses. The system asks "Were any of these expense reimbursements included in your taxable W-2 wages?"

So, during 2023, I've expensed quite a few things for work: Meals, travel costs. I've been reimbursed for everything but I have no idea whether this is included in my taxable W-2 wages. Any idea how I can find out?

Many thanks

0 1 999
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 25, 2024 8:58:57 AM

In general, employee business expenses can not be deducted on your New Jersey state income tax return.  You may be able to exclude reimbursements for employee business expenses reported as wages on your W-2 if  the following conditions are met:

• Your reimbursed expenses are job-related.
  • You account for these expenses to your employer.
  • Your reimbursement from your employer is for the exact amount of the expense.

If you are unsure if your expense reimbursements are included on your W-2 you can ask your employer (or payroll company) to verify this.

Click here for information from the New Jersey Division of Taxation.

Click here for additional information from the New Jersey Division of Taxation.

Click here for information on fringe benefits.

Click here for information on employment-related expenses.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support.