Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 30, 2020 9:08:30 AM

Self employment, taxes, unemployment, covid19, and offset took my return been a rough few months.. ??? Any advice

How can I prove I get paid for like babysitting and or sitting with an elderly woman for months now but of course I don't receive stubs? Is it almost like trying to prove you do "Gig jobs" for a living... If nothing is happening then of course I'm not contacted to perform income earning services the local few have been used to me doing on a daily basis jus to help people out ya know. But I couldn't try to apply for assistance or unemployment because I am no longer working steadily correct? As u can see I haven't filed taxes and am usually a dependent on my significant other tax form

0 1 251
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
May 5, 2020 2:54:17 PM

Based on the information you provided, you have a self-employed business providing personal and child care services.  Under the IRS rules, if your annual income is $400 or more, you are supposed to report this income on a tax return, even if you are claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return.

Typically, a copy of your filed tax return with the "Schedule C" self-employment income is used to support a claim for unemployment.

If you are claimed as a dependent on another person's 2019 tax return, you are not eligible for a stimulus payment.