Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Feb 16, 2021 1:54:59 PM

Why am I being asked about the financial situation of an individual I haven't been married to for several years? Is this affecting my refund and will I be penalized?

Every questions is "do you or X". There is absolutely no reason why I would have his information or why it should effect me.

0 1 145
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Feb 16, 2021 2:06:30 PM

It’s very difficult to remove all information related to a former spouse from your return. Your best option is to start over by creating a new TurboTax account, and working through the program to enter your return in your name only.

You can create a new account here. You can use the same email and create a new User ID and password. After creating a new account using your same email address and starting to work on your return, you might get a popup window suggesting that you use your original account. Bypass this message and continue with your return in the new account.

If you’re using the TurboTax CD/Download, skip the step of pulling in the information from last year’s return, if that return had your spouse on it. Here’s what to do:

1. Select File in the upper left, and then New Tax Return.
  2. Skip any option to transfer last year’s return and select Continue Without Transferring.