Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 1
posted Apr 10, 2020 12:33:33 PM

Retirement section concerning moving to another states

I am using Turbo Tax and entering my 1099R. It then asks if I received it while living in more than one state. If I mark yes they want Arizona's info and my form only has info from California. We moved from CA to AZ. Do I mark no and deal with it somewhere else or mark yes, then how do I enter the info

0 3 280
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 10, 2020 1:20:09 PM

Mark only your CA information on the  1099R since that is all there is. Then you will fill out a part year return for each state and can mark the amount received in each state as you go through the individual states.See How do I file a part-year state return?

Level 1
Apr 14, 2020 1:42:14 PM

The woman I spoke to on the phone was very helpful and helped me get through the federal portion of the turbo tax and figure out how I address this issue there. At the time I was lacking two pieces of information, not related to this, to finish my federal taxes. 

Now I am to the state tax return portion and I am looking at this and wondering where I look to find what they want and trying to understand what they are asking for. I will need to call again and get this worked out. for us laymen sometimes information is not clear.

Expert Alumni
Apr 14, 2020 2:00:36 PM

Yes, the live support is great because they are able to see what you are working on.  

@cb707