Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 12:52:35 AM

Ret. Vet and I have always received an income tax check until I retired. I have to pay once I apply my 1099-R numbers. Am I being penalized for being a retired Veteran?

0 3 523
1 Best answer
Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 12:52:37 AM

No, you are not being penalized.  When you enter the 1099-R, it is being included as income and you pay taxes on it, just like everyone else does.  If you did not have taxes withheld from the amounts you received, you may end up owing money when you file your tax return.  This appears to be what happened.

3 Replies
Level 9
Jun 6, 2019 12:52:37 AM

No, you are not being penalized.  When you enter the 1099-R, it is being included as income and you pay taxes on it, just like everyone else does.  If you did not have taxes withheld from the amounts you received, you may end up owing money when you file your tax return.  This appears to be what happened.

Jun 6, 2019 12:52:38 AM

Thank you...yes, unfortunately it appears that I will have to withhold money just to offset it at the end of the year. I know I am one of many that feels that our (retired military) retirement should not be counted as income by the Fed. Didn't we give enough already?

Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 12:52:41 AM

Everyone who receives retirement income has to enter their 1099R--not just veterans.  

Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security>IRA  401 k) Pension Plan Withdrawals to enter your 1099R.