Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 7, 2019 3:52:50 PM

Is social security retirement income taxable

My mother receives social security income from my late father, and I'm doing her taxes for her. Is that considered "retirement income" from a late spouse, for tax purposes?

0 3 771
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:52:52 PM

If your mother's ONLY income is Social Security, it is not taxable, and she does not have to file a tax return.  If she has other income from working, investments, retirement accounts, etc. that total over $25,000 then she needs to file.

3 Replies
Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:52:52 PM

If your mother's ONLY income is Social Security, it is not taxable, and she does not have to file a tax return.  If she has other income from working, investments, retirement accounts, etc. that total over $25,000 then she needs to file.

Jun 7, 2019 3:52:53 PM

is the other income all you count or do you add the social security with the other income

Level 15
Jun 7, 2019 3:52:54 PM

This is a two year old thread--I am not sure how your add on question relates to the original question.  But if you are have income from Social Security and from other sources, then you enter all of it on the tax return.
Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.