Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 1, 2019 7:31:28 PM

I need help with correcting an error on the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit - the answer is no and it won't let me change it

and I don't want to upgrade turbo tax

0 3 632
3 Replies
Intuit Alumni
Jun 1, 2019 7:31:29 PM

If you want to forgo the Saver's Credit, enter a disqualifier, such as, you were a full time student.

Mar 10, 2021 1:36:07 PM

Ive followed all instructions to remove the 8880 form and the lousy $4 credit. Not possible. It forces you to upgrade and pay to use their service, even though i never contributed one cent to any type of retirement saveer in 2020

Expert Alumni
Mar 10, 2021 2:25:18 PM

If you contributed to a 401K through your job, those amounts qualify for the credit, and TurboTax automatically generates Form 8880.   Other savings plan contributions will generate the credit as well.  Full-time students are not eligible to take the credit, so if you indicate that you were a full-time student, you won't qualify for the credit.  @Jackie41

You can go back through the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit questions and edit your answers if you were a full-time student during any 5 months of 2020.   It can be found in the Deductions and Credits section, under Retirement and Investments