Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 5, 2019 11:21:02 PM

I am looking at a hardship withdrawal from my 401k. Is the government shutdown a good enough reason for the IRS if I were to get audited?

0 9 1749
9 Replies
Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:04 PM

Does your employer plan allow for a hardship withdrawal from the 401(k) while you are still working for the employer?

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:05 PM

Instead of a withdrawal, where the taxable amount withdrawn will be entered on your tax return as ordinary income and taxed at your current tax rate, consider a loan from the plan if the plan allows loans.  The loan is not reported on a tax return as long as you are paying the loan back and do not default on the loan.

Jun 5, 2019 11:21:06 PM

I already have a loan with them with only a small dollar amount left. However if I repay that loan I cannot get another for 60 days after they have received the final payment. Yes they do allow a hardship withdrawal while working for them. The plan is the thrift savings plan if that helps

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:09 PM

The IRS has nothing to do with a hardship distribution from a 401(k) - the terms of the plan determine if it is allowed or not.  Ask the plan administrator.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:11 PM

See this IRS website for hardship withdrawals - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-hardship-distributions">https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-hardship-distributions</a>
As stated if you make the withdrawal it is taxable and added to your other income on your tax return.  If you are not eligible for the exemption for an early withdrawal you will also incur a 10% early withdrawal penalty assessed on your tax return as a tax liability.

Jun 5, 2019 11:21:12 PM

DoninGA I am aware of the penalties. I am more worried that IF I were audited the government shutdown (I am an essential employee) is a legitimate reason for the withdrawal. I will not be recieving at least one paycheck guaranteed this month and could go longer. Which would cause recurring negative cash flow.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:14 PM

Your plan administrator and the plan rules determine what is a legitimate hardship withdrawal, Not the IRS.

Jun 5, 2019 11:21:15 PM

Ok thank you for your help.

Level 15
Jun 5, 2019 11:21:18 PM

Whether a hardship distribution is permissible under the plan depends more on the expense for which the 401(k) income is needed.  The loss of government income itself is not considered a hardship, it's the specific and immediate need for that income that establishes the hardship.  It would be no different than losing any other source of income.