Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 3, 2019 11:01:56 AM

Does anyone know which line item on the tax form corresponds w/ the earned income amount? I'm trying to determine my IRA contribution limit and had low income last year.

I had low w/ both my gross & net income being less than $5,500 last year.  I am now trying to determine my max amount for a Roth contribution for 2018. I think my limit would be my net profit  from my contracting business. However, I think I could be wrong and it might be taxable income (line 10 on 1040) or possibly something else.  

Can anyone confirm or correct me?  Thank you.

0 4 413
4 Replies
Level 15
Jun 3, 2019 11:01:57 AM

If your only compensation is from self-employment, it's net profit minus the deductible portion of self-employment taxes and any self-employed retirement deduction.  In other words, Schedule 1 line 12 minus lines 27 and 28.

Jun 3, 2019 11:01:58 AM

Awesome.  I am assuming the other income adjustments do not matter than for the Roth ira contribution.  Just the portion for self employment tax and self-employed retirement deduction. Is that right? Thank you for your help.

Level 15
Jun 3, 2019 11:01:59 AM

Right.  Since your AGI is low, you will likely benefit more from the Roth IRA contribution that you are proposing than from a traditional IRA contribution.

Jun 3, 2019 11:02:00 AM

That is exactly what I was looking to do, but wanted to make sure I didn't over contribute.  Thank you again for your help.