Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted May 31, 2019 6:28:52 PM

Can I claim my girlfriends two older boys who live with me and my girlfriend, whom I support even though one of the boys receives social security income?

My girlfriend has been living with me for over six months closer to about a year along with her two older boys, one receives social security benefits because he is a bit disabled, I have been supporting them as well as my dad since he lost his job earlier this year after getting too sick to return to work, since me and my girlfriend are not registered as common law married, how can I claim them so I can get a tax break on the expenses I supported to care for them all?

0 3 913
1 Best answer
Level 15
May 31, 2019 6:28:57 PM

To claim unrelated persons, they must have lived with you the entire tax year (all 366 days) except for brief temporary absences  such as:  Illness,Education,Business,Vacation,Military service, or Detention in a juvenile facility, and you must have paid more than 1/2 of their total support.   They also cannot have gross taxable income more than $4,050.

3 Replies
Level 15
May 31, 2019 6:28:54 PM

Whe exactly did they all move in with you?

May 31, 2019 6:28:56 PM

They moved in earlier this year, but I've been helping her financially for a while before she moved in. It was even reported to her Medicaid if im not mistaken that I had been helping her.

Level 15
May 31, 2019 6:28:57 PM

To claim unrelated persons, they must have lived with you the entire tax year (all 366 days) except for brief temporary absences  such as:  Illness,Education,Business,Vacation,Military service, or Detention in a juvenile facility, and you must have paid more than 1/2 of their total support.   They also cannot have gross taxable income more than $4,050.