Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Jun 6, 2019 3:50:06 AM

67 years of age with Roth withdrawal in '16. Should total NET Roth Contributions before 2016 include the Conversion amount from Traditional IRA to a Roth in 1998.

I converted and paid taxes in '98, '99,'00 and '01.  After that I made several non deductible contributions.  Is it correct to total all of these to get the correct amount for NET Contributions prior to 2016?  Or is this number even needed? I am 67 and only withdrew a small amount. 

0 1 196
1 Best answer
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 3:50:06 AM

TurboTax asks separately about regular net contributions and net conversion contributions.  However, you don't really need to enter this amount since your distribution is a qualified distribution.  The only reason that you would need to know your net contributions and conversions now is if you had sufficient investment losses to be able to claim a miscellaneous deduction for unrecoverable contribution and conversion basis after completely distributing all of your assets from your Roth IRAs, which doesn't seem likely.

1 Replies
Level 15
Jun 6, 2019 3:50:06 AM

TurboTax asks separately about regular net contributions and net conversion contributions.  However, you don't really need to enter this amount since your distribution is a qualified distribution.  The only reason that you would need to know your net contributions and conversions now is if you had sufficient investment losses to be able to claim a miscellaneous deduction for unrecoverable contribution and conversion basis after completely distributing all of your assets from your Roth IRAs, which doesn't seem likely.