Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 10, 2023 11:54:14 AM

How much should the penalty be for cashing out tradational ira?

Ok so here is my issue while trying to figure this out.  I lost 130 lbs  which left me with hanging skin that I would like to remove.  It is cosmetic surgery so insurance will not cover it so that leaves me to figure out how to pay for it. I don't have a lot of extra money so the less I would have to borrow to pay for it would be better. My main retirement is with the teachers retirement plan so I am not touching that.  What I do have and this is my question is I have a traditional ira with vanguard.  I put 5000 in to it when I worked with my old employer and it has grown to 9600.  I have not done anything with it in years just let it sit.  If I with drew all the money, I know I would have to put it on my taxes as income and pay taxes for it  like it was income. I am also guessing because I am only 50 that I would still have to pay a 10 percent penalty. Would this be charged by the irs itself and pay that all at tax time? what percentage of the 9600 would I actually need to put aside  to pay?  if I took out less than my initial contribution I know that would be taxed but would that also be hit with a penalty?

0 2 257
2 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 10, 2023 12:42:19 PM

If you withdraw from your Traditional IRA before age 59 1/2, you have to pay tax at your marginal rate plus a 10% early withdrawal penalty. You pay this whether you withdraw any amount, whether more or less than your initial contribution.

Let's take an example: if your marginal tax rate is 22%, then you will have to pay 22% + 10% = 32% of $9,600, which a total tax of $3,072.

Apr 10, 2023 1:14:30 PM

Thank you, that is the best answer I have heard all day.