Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Mar 24, 2021 1:09:42 PM

3rd stimulus

Forgive me if this particular question has already been asked.  Based on my 2019 income, I would not qualify for a 3rd stimulus check, however, according to the calculators, my 2020 income would qualify me for $2750.  I filed my 2020 taxes less than a week before the first round of direct deposit payments went out.  Will the IRS eventually send me the stimulus money based on my 2020 taxes or will I have to wait until I file my 2021 taxes and get a credit?

0 1 768
1 Replies
Expert Alumni
Mar 24, 2021 1:26:24 PM

Yes, if your 2020 income qualifies you for a third stimulus, you will be sent a payment later this year when the IRS processes your 2020 tax return.

The IRS says in this document:

If a taxpayer's payment is less than the full amount and is based on their 2019 return, they may qualify for a supplemental payment after they file their 2020 return. The IRS will automatically reevaluate their eligibility. If the agency determines that they are entitled to a larger payment or the full payment, it will send them a supplemental payment covering the difference between what they originally received and the larger amount. If the re-evaluated amount is smaller, they won't need to pay back the difference. Aside from filing a 2020 tax return, no action is needed on their part.