Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
posted Apr 15, 2022 10:36:04 AM

Why doesn't TurboTax ask for my military rank when I submit my W2?

0 3 804
3 Replies
Expert Alumni
Apr 15, 2022 10:53:04 AM

TurboTax asks for rank when you enter your My Info/Personal Info data, along with your name, date of birth, and similar stuff.

Be sure to look all the way down each screen (it's laid out differently for each product) so that you don't miss TurboTax asking if you are currently serving. If you answer YES, then your rank is just one of several things that will be asked.

Apr 4, 2024 9:18:39 PM

Hi I was able to put my rank into turbo tax, but when I went to pay it was still charging me a fee. Do you know why that is? I am filing as an E-4 so it shouldn't be because I am ineligible for free filing. 

Level 15
Apr 5, 2024 5:35:27 AM

@Carbc 

If you have NOT filed yet...go back to the W-2 that you entered.

EDIT that W-2, and on a page After the main W-2, there is a page with a whole long list of checkboxes.

In the middle of it is one you must check.....to indicate that the W-2 is for Military service.

Then the charges should go away (As long as you didn't upgrade to LIVE service).

IF the charges don't get removed that way....call Customer Support and see if they can help remove the $$.  IF they can't either, then they might give you a service code that pays for it...but that's up to them.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)