TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

What if I need to call the IRS on behalf of someone else?

SOLVEDby TurboTax96Updated January 19, 2022

The IRS will request paperwork to prove that you are legally designated to call on someone else’s behalf.

Calling for someone else

Here's what the IRS requires:

  • Verification of your identity:
    • Your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
    • Your filing status (Single, Head of Household, Married Filing Joint or Married Filing Separate)
    • Your prior-year tax return (they may ask you questions from it to verify your identity)
  • Verbal or written authorization from the third-party to discuss the account
  • The taxpayer’s name, SSN/ITIN, tax period, and tax form(s) filed
  • Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) or PIN if a third-party designee
  • Either:
    • A current, completed and signed Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization
    • A completed and signed Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative

Calling for someone who is deceased
If you've lost someone, we know that the paperwork seems unending. We're sorry you have to deal with more of it, but the IRS may require that you fax:

  • The death certificate
  • Either:
    • Copies of Letters Testamentary approved by the court
    • IRS Form 56, Notice Concerning Fiduciary Relationship (for estate executors)

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads