Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
Sign in to the Community or Sign in to TurboTax and start working on your taxes
Level 2
posted Jan 29, 2021 6:37:26 PM

Will intuit be able to fix the problem with Turbotax and the issue with rental property depreciation?

0 5 639
5 Replies
Level 3
Jan 29, 2021 7:48:01 PM
Returning Member
Jan 30, 2021 5:55:51 PM

I tried to correct this, but I sold my property this year, so it doesn't give me the option to add the rental property asset back.  I called for help, and the person I spoke with confirmed that there is nothing for me to correct in this case, yet my tax return is still on hold.  When is this going to be fixed??

Level 2
Jan 30, 2021 9:21:19 PM

Not sure this will work but something to think about. Downloading your 2019 return, locate form 4562, the Alternative Minimum Tax Deprecation Report for your property and print that off. So now you have all the info needed to add your property into your 2020 return.  Return to income,  rentals and royalties,  your  property should now be listed under assets and rental property. From there I think it allows you to click a box and see a worksheet for rental properties and or major improvements. And it will give you an option to edit, and after a few windows there will  be a selection asking if this property has been sold and several other selections. From there I think you are on your way. I hope that works. Goes without saying I am not a technical writer. Good luck.

Returning Member
Jan 31, 2021 6:50:10 AM

Thanks for your help. One of the very first questions asked was whether I sold my rental property, so when I said yes, it doesn't give me the option to add the rental property back into the deductions and expenses section. I think I have to just delete the whole return and start over, which is frustrating after spending many hours already. I've experienced this year that the software doesn't do well when you go back and make changes. I'm seeing other glitches in the self-employment section that I can't seem to fix, either. Very disappointing experience for me this year with TurboTax.

Returning Member
Jan 31, 2021 9:54:12 AM

Actually, this did help.  I had to go all the way back to the beginning and uncheck the box that said I sold my property.  Then, it did allow me to add the rental property depreciation.  Then, I went back and checked the box again and completed the information for the sale.  Hopefully this was all I needed to do to lift the hold and submit it (assuming I can figure out the other issues I'm having with the deferred self-employment tax situation).  Thanks so much!